28 February 2011

For Yi Zhang (1935 - 2009)


I like the concept of lighting up so much. The dimly pulsating red, the curls of smoke.

How much does a shadow weigh?  I wondered as a child.

It turns out that a shadow of smoke weighs a wisp, but a shadow on a lung – a ton.



- A slightly different version of this picture is a contributing piece in the "Light" exhibition.  Goodenough College, 6 March 2011, 2 pm.   On hindsight, revealing the beer mug suited 姨丈 more: he was the man who gave me my first taste of beer - at age 5!

1 comment:

  1. I didn't like the cigarette for all the same reasons....

    but nothing would have reminded me of yeye more than this picture :) except of course of the giant beer mug (or giant beer can for me), but that will be much more difficult to find! :)

    hope you've been well, yiyi!

    ReplyDelete