09 March 2010

Tragedy of the commons

If the shared printer runs out of paper, is it the responsibility of the last person who caused it to run out to refill it, or is it that of the unlucky person who next tries to print?

Today I refilled it and also taped up the annoying cover which keeps falling off. Then someone returned my favorite sock which I had left behind in the dryer.

It's nice when people take the trouble.

(But humans tend to try to get away with doing as little as possible. We're all a bit shitty that way.)

1 comment:

  1. It happens to me all the time .. i end up fixing the printer, carrying the box of paper up two flights of stairs ...
    It is shitty that way but then i figured I much rather do it and get my print out now then wait for someone else to do it.

    ReplyDelete